Recommendation made for revamp of Ranji Trophy format
CUTTACK, Jun 12, 2012 (Team OCA):
Former India captain Sourav Ganguly-led Technical Committee of the BCCI, which met at the Cricket Centre today, recommended the following suggestions, including revamp of Ranji Trophy format to the Working Committee for approval.
* The Elite and Plate groups to be replaced by three groups of nine teams each.
* Each team will play eight matches at the League stage.
* Three teams from Groups A and B, and two from Group C, will qualify for the Knockout phase.
* The Quarter-finals, Semi-finals and Final will be five-day games.
* If in the Knockout phase, a result on first innings is not obtained at the end of the fifth day, then the match will be extended into a sixth day.
* If a result on first innings is not obtained even at the end of the sixth day, then the winner will be decided on the spin of a coin.
RANJI TROPHY POINTS SYSTEM:
Outright win: Six points. Innings win or win by 10 wickets: One bonus point. Tie on both innings: Three points each. First Innings lead but no outright win: Three points. Loss on first innings: One point. Tie on first innings without outright result: One point each. Outright loss: Zero point. First innings results not achieved, with or without weather interference: One point each
UNDER-22 TEAM RENAMED AS TEAM A:
* Each Under-22 side will now be called the A team of that association.
* Players who are below 25 years of age, as on 1 September of the year in which the season starts, will be eligible to be a part of the team.
* Every team will be allowed to field three Ranji Trophy players (those who have figured in the playing XI in the Ranji Trophy in the ongoing season or immediate preceding season) in each game.
* All Under-16 matches in the knockout stage will be four-day affairs.
SEQUENCE OF DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS:
* The domestic tournaments will be played in the following order: 1. Duleep Trophy, 2. NKP Salve Challenger Trophy, 3. Ranji Trophy, 4. Irani Cup, 5. Vijay Hazare Trophy, 6. Deodhar Trophy, 7. Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
* There will thus be two Irani Cup games in the 2012-13 season.
* In September 2012, Rajasthan, the Ranji Champions of 2011-12, will play the Rest of India.
* After the Ranji Trophy final in early 2013, the 2012-13 Ranji Champions will play the Rest of India.
NKP SALVE CHALLENGER TROPHY RESTRUCTURED FROM THE 2013-14 SEASON:
The tournament shall comprise the following:
* Winners of the Vijay Hazare Trophy in the previous season.
* Two teams of thirteen players each, picked by the All-India Senior Selection Committee.
PLAYING CONDITIONS OF DOMESTIC ONE-DAY GAMES:
* One bowler will be permitted to bowl a maximum of twelve overs in one-day games.
* Two bouncers will be permitted per over.
* There will be no change in the prevalent rule pertaining to the number of fielders allowed outside the thirty-yard circle in non-Powerplay overs.